History of the Vaucluse Bowling Club
A committee meeting of the Vaucluse Progress Association in 1938, decided to investigate the establishment of a bowling club in Vaucluse, and unsuccessfully sought a lease of land in the grounds of Vaucluse House.
The club, subsequently, was given a lease of a portion of Samuel Park, which had been withheld from sale in 1930 for the purpose of public recreation.
On January 12, 1939, a preliminary meeting at the Red Lantern Café was attended by 30 residents, who unanimously resolved that the Vaucluse Bowling Club be formed.
The greens and clubhouse were built with support from Vaucluse Council, a club debenture issue and generous donations by individuals.
The club’s first general meeting was held on October 8, 1939, only a few weeks before World War II, when it was recorded, “We have a most beautiful site overlooking the harbour”.
On August 24, 1940, the Club had a gala opening.
In November 1940 Vaucluse entered in Pennants for the first time, taking out number three and number four competitions. Also in November, the Vaucluse Ladies Bowling Club was formed and together with the Men’s Club, became members of the Vaucluse Bowling Club Ltd.
During the war years, the clubhouse was made available, rent free, to the National Emergency Service and the Vaucluse Branch of the Australian Red Cross. Many a parcel was wrapped for overseas and many a dance was held to raise funds for the Australian forces.
Vaucluse Council merged with Woollahra Council in 1948. As a result, the Club developed a strong working relationship with Woollahra Council.
We now lease from the State Government Department of Primary Industries – Land.
Vaucluse Bowling Club, 5 February 1968, Nord Hartley
Bowls in New South Wales, March 1968 p.24-25
A history of Vaucluse Bowling Club Ltd, 28 August 2010, Ross Leabeater